Central Deborah Gold Mine
There are few places in the world that can match Bendigo’s geological profile as a gold producer. Each of our tours are personally run by a tour guide, which include some of the grandchildren and relatives of the original Central Deborah miners.
- Mine Experience Tour: 61 metres underground. 75 minutes. Don a hard hat and miner’s lamp, descend 61 metres beneath the surface of Bendigo and walk in the footsteps of past miners! Become enthralled by Bendigo’s underworld as you are guided through the honeycomb of underground tunnels with one of our friendly and knowledgeable guides. With only the light on your cap to light the path you will discover what conditions as a miner were really like during the gold rush era. Afterwards, explore the surface of the mine with its treasure trove of vintage mining machinery, gold panning and interpretive museum.This tour is wheelchair accessible. All participants must be over 3 years of age. BOOK NOW.
- Underground Adventure Tour: 85 metres underground. 2.5 hours. Gear up in overalls, boots, miner’s hat and lamp. Climb ladders, work a mine drill and search for gold with finders keepers! Descending to the third level of the mine, you will be mesmerised by the lure of gold and the stronghold that it had over people as you explore the underground tunnels, drifts and stope workings that still contain gold veins. This tour also includes a traditional ‘miner’s lunch’ served in the Underground Function Room where you will get a delicious taste of what life was like working underground. All participants must be over 8 years of age. BOOK NOW.
- Nine Levels of Darkness: 228 metres underground. 3.5 hours. Drop 228 metres underground in the original miners' cage to Level 9 of the mine and see if you have what it takes to be a gold miner from the 1900s! Be guided through authentic mining tunnels by your Shift Boss who will “put you to work”, teaching you all the tricks of the trade. Learn how to set a charge and operate a Mine Drill. Climb down parts of the mine shaft using the ladder way. Experience the thrill of following the cap of the reef up into a T-rise. After a hard day’s work, enjoy a lunch break underground. All participants must be over 14 years of age. Phone (03) 5443 8255 to book your tour. PLEASE NOTE: Essential maintenance works are being carried out from March to June 2017 as part of the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning’s Bendigo Groundwater Project. As a partner of this project, Bendigo Heritage Attractions has suspended the Nine Levels of Darkness tour so that these works can be safely carried out. We apologise for any inconvenience.
Bendigo Tramways is a living piece of history that has been entwined with the city's identity since 1890 and provides a glimpse into the Bendigo of old. No other Australian city which closed its tramway system left track, trams and a depot behind in the manner that Bendigo did. Our Depot is now the oldest operating tram depot in Australia and we operate the best working collection of trams in the world.
- Vintage Talking Tram Tour: You will be delighted by the remarkable sights and sounds of Bendigo as your tram tells you entertaining stories about the city founded on one of the world’s richest goldfields while passing monuments like the impressive Alexandra Fountain, the majestic Sacred Heart Cathedral and the stately promenade Pall Mall. This hop-on, hop-off tour stops throughout the city allowing you to explore many of the parks, attractions, shopping and dining facilities that Bendigo has to offer. Your ticket is valid for two consecutive days. Free all day parking is available at Central Deborah Gold Mine and the Bendigo Joss House Temple. BOOK NOW.
- Anzac Centenary Tram: Through stories of bravery, resilience and courage in the face of adversity, the Anzac Centenary Tram explores the impact of WW1 on the local Bendigo community. Gain insight into what life was like on the frontline for soldiers, discover the pioneering role that Bendigo women played in the war effort, and come to understand how WW1 transformed the lives of families on the home front. The Anzac Centenary Tram is included with all Vintage Talking Tram tickets. BOOK NOW.
Bendigo Joss House Temple
At the heritage-listed Bendigo Joss House Temple you can discover more about Chinese beliefs and the story of the Chinese who came to Bendigo in search of gold. The Bendigo Joss House Temple, a Chinese place of worship, was constructed in the 1870s. Originally part of the Ironbark Chinese Camp, it is one of the few remaining buildings of its type in Australia.
Dedicated volunteer guides look after the temple and offer great insight into Chinese culture and the story of the Chinese on the Bendigo goldfield. The Bendigo Joss House Temple is one of Bendigo's hidden gems. BOOK NOW.